A Princeton business office sustained heavy smoke and heat damage during a Thursday morning fire, and the investigation into its cause continued into Friday morning.

Princeton Fire and Rescue was dispatched to 205 S. Jefferson St., the office of Rogers Motor and Rogers Taxidermy, at 11:38 a.m. Thursday.

Upon arrival, firefighters found heavy smoke coming from the building, which is owned by David Rogers.

Firefighters reportedly made entry through the front door and found fire in the front room of the building. The fire was starting to extend into an adjoining room.

Princeton Fire and Rescue Assistant Chief Brent Thompson said 11 firefighters with the department responded to the scene and were able to extinguish the fire rather quickly.

The building, however, sustained extensive smoke and heat damage in the blaze.

Caldwell County EMS responded to the scene and remained on standby in the event any of the firefighters suffered heat exhaustion.

“It was hot,” said Thompson, citing the high temperature of the blaze as well as a heat index in the upper 90s on Thursday.

Firefighters were on the scene for approximately an hour and a half.

Also assisting were the Princeton Police Department, Princeton Water and Wastewater and Princeton Electric Plant Board.

As of Friday, the cause and origin of the fire at Rogers Motors and taxidermy office were still being investigated.

Logger rescued

Princeton Fire and Rescue also responded to a call for help on Wednesday morning, just after 10 a.m.

The initial call was made to Caldwell County EMS and Fredonia Fire Department to respond to Union Grove School Road where a subject had been reportedly hit by a tree during a logging operation.

Princeton Fire and Rescue was requested at the scene with their Polaris Ranger utility vehicle and patient transport trailer because the subject was located approximately a mile from the road, according to Thompson.

When rescuers arrived at the scene of the accident, they had to cut a tree off the subject, according to Thompson.

They then transported him out of the wooded area to a clearing where an AirEvac helicopter transported him to Deaconess Hospital in Evansville.

The name of the subject was not released, but he was reportedly working with David Feagan’s logging operation. The subject is not a resident of Caldwell County.