(StatePoint) Whether you’re building a new home or making exterior updates, there are many decisions you’ll have to make. Perhaps topping the list in importance is what materials you select for your roofing and siding. Not only do your selections impact your home’s curb appeal, but some choices have the potential to save you money and help increase your family’s safety.
Here are some things to consider, as well as some of the reasons why many building industry professionals and homeowners today are avoiding real wood products and steering toward composite shake alternatives instead:
• Long-Term Aesthetics: Real cedar shake roofing and siding is beautiful, particularly as it ages. Unfortunately, just as it begins to weather to a rich-looking color, it often becomes unserviceable due to deterioration. To get the authentic weathered look of real cedar from day one, opt for composite materials. Those from DaVinci Roofscapes resist impact, fire, mold, algae, insects, salt air and high winds. Available in various colors and color blends, they will look as attractive as weathered cedar, but won’t curl, cup or split in the way wood does, so you get years of worry-free beauty.
• Fire: A Class A fire rating is the highest level of fire resistance a roofing system can achieve. While this is an important consideration for any homeowner, it should be a top priority for anyone living in wildfire-prone territories. Keep in mind that real cedar can burn easily, whereas fire-resistant composite shake siding and roofing offer peace-of- mind in this regard, acting as your family’s first line of defense against stray sparks.
• Insects: Untreated wood shingles make for a yummy snack for termites and other bugs. Over time, these pests will destroy the integrity of a home’s exterior. By opting for composite shake, you get the look of authentic wood without this hassle. Made of virgin resins, UV and thermal stabilizers, composite shakes from DaVinci Roofscapes, for example, are strong products that silverfish, termites, carpenter ants and beetles will leave be. In addition, products made from these materials resist fading, rotting and cracking.
• Impact: It takes just one bad storm to cause extensive damage to real cedar shake roofing and siding. However, you can expect more from your home exterior by selecting stronger materials, like composite shake products with a Class 4 impact rating. This is particularly important if you live in a region that experiences hail or high winds.
• Cost: When weighing the cost of siding or a new roof system, it’s helpful to look beyond the upfront price tag. Durable materials that help you avoid maintenance and replacement costs will save you money down the line. Additionally, many insurance companies recognize that certain composite materials stand up to the elements, and often offer associated discounts on policies as an incentive for homeowners to invest in them. Finally, think about your long-term goals and select products that offer a strong return-on-investment when it comes time to sell your home.
To learn how composite shake roofing and siding can benefit your home, visit DaVinciRoofscapes.com.
Is it time for a new roof or new siding? Be sure to select materials designed for long-term beauty and easy maintenance.